Monday, June 26, 2006

Ayn As-Suroor? Ayn As-Sukoon?

Where is happiness? Where is tranquility?

Well, for a lot of people, it is in the pursuit of knowledge of the deen.


"If Kings knew of the pleasure we derive in studying kitabs, they would throw their kingdoms and start studying kitabs."

- Shaykh Muhammad Yusuf Kandhlawi


"While people are (lost) in the depths of the night,
We are blinded by the radiance of the day."

- Imam Ibn Al-Qayyim rahimahullah in his book Ighathat-al-Luhfaan min Masayid Ash-Shaitan (The desired elixir against the plots of Satan).


"Happiness is not in the castle of Abdul Malik ibn Marwan, in the army of Haroon Ar-Rasheed, in the mansions of Ibn Jassas, in the treasures of Qaroon (Korah), or in gardens of roses.

Bliss and happiness were the lot of the Prophet's (pbuh) companions (may Allah be pleased with them all) even though they were poor and lead harsh lives. Happiness was with Imam Bukhari in his collection of ahadeeth (hadiths), with Hasan Al-Basri in his truthfulness, with Ash-Shafi'ee in his deductions, with Malik and Ahmad in their introspection and self-denial, and with Thaabit Al-Bannani in his worship"

- 'Aaidh ibn AbdAllah Al-Qarni in his book 'Laa Tahzen'.


"The sleepless nights I spend in learning the sciences, are more beloved to me than the company or caresses of an enchanting woman.

My rapturous exhilaration when understanding a difficult concept, is more delicious to me than the most exotic of drinks.

More delightful to me than the sounds of a woman's hands on the drum, is that of my hands on my papers in order to remove dust.

O he who tries to attain my level by wishful thinking, how much difference there is between the one who finds the pain of climbing to be too much and the one who climbs and reaches the summit.

Do I toil through the night, while you sleep through it, yet you hope to surpass me?"

- 'Allama Zamakhshari, the famous commentator of The Qur'an.

No comments: